Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Outfit of the Day: French Quarter and Halloween Harlequin

Hello there Kittens!


This past weekend was a good mix of seeing friends, staying at home catching up with good ol' netflix and some horror themed flix, and partaking in Halloween activities!

On Friday Tim and I met up with some friends at a German bar in nearby Alameda to celebrate a friend's birthday. We got to hang with the gang, gorge ourselves on German food, and drink beer while enjoying the live band the bar had going.

On Saturday, in contrast, it was a very relaxing day. I got to watch the first disc of the first season of Ash Vs. Evil Dead and catch up on a few episodes of American Horror Story Hotel.

Then on Sunday, Tim and I went out to the Candle Lighter's Ghost House in Fremont! I had a craving for caramel apples and I knew this was just the place to get them-- and get to go through a fun spooky house while we were at it. ;) While I haven't been to the Fremont Ghost House in a while and definitely can't say that I go every year, it is a bit of a tradition, especially for the locals. In fact, this year they are celebrating their 48th year running! Some things that I absolutely love about the Fremont ghost house: 1) the ghost house is set up in an actual historic 19th century Carriage house, 2) admission is only $3 though that doesn't mean it's not a whole lot of fun! These people really put on a great show and you can tell they really put a lot of time and thought into what they put together. 3) I love that they have booths set up for games, face painting, photo booths, and caramel apples! While my primary stop is at the caramel apple booth I do love seeing all the kids and grown up kids having so much at all the different booths. 4) I love that the people that put together this event are a non-profit group who use the funds they raise for community-based projects in the area and use it to give to other non-profit groups. And last but not least, 5) while I mentioned previously that the Fremont Ghost House is not something I can say I go to every year, it is a place that runs deep in my bones. As a kid and all through the present I've always loved driving past this historic carriage house interestingly located on the edge of a large town shopping center right off of a busy main street. I love how it makes me really think of the past and what the area might have looked like when this historic house was first built. It adds such an air of mystery both in this questioning of the historic past of this area and also in wondering what this house might have looked like inside during its heyday and also during the present. It's such a wonderful treat to get to walk in through the doors when they open it the to the public for their annual Halloween Ghost House!



Candle Lighter's Ghost House, Fremont, CA

Historic 19th Century Carriage House, home of the Candle Lighter's Ghost House

Caramel apple booth!

After a good day with my caramel apple after seeing the Candle Lighter's Ghost house!



Outfit of the Day (Friday):

As I mentioned before, on Friday after work Tim and I went out to meet up with some friends at a German bar to celebrate a friend's birthday. For the occasion I decided to get out one of my favorite dresses, my Trashy Diva Annette dress in French Quarter print. I paired this with a black mohair cardigan I got several years ago in an Australian boutique shop and a pair of basic black flats. For a finishing touch I wore a pair of faux cameo earrings I got from a plantation in Louisiana during our trip there last October, a skull bracelet Tim bought for me a couple weeks ago from Spirit, the Halloween store, and I also wore a faux cameo cat sweater clip I made a couple years ago. You can see the tutorial here.


Trashy Diva Annette dress in French Quarter- Front View

Trashy Diva Annette dress in French Quarter- Front View

Trashy Diva Annette dress in French Quarter- Side View

Trashy Diva Annette dress in French Quarter- Front View

Trashy Diva Annette dress in French Quarter- Front View

Trashy Diva Annette dress in French Quarter- Side View

Faux cameo earrings and cat sweater clip- Close Up



Outfit of the Day (Sunday):

On Sunday, to visit the Fremont Ghost House, I decided to wear my new Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin. I paired this with my black mohair cardigan, a Trashy Diva black obi belt, and a pair of basic black flats. For a finishing touch I wore this with a pair of Rosita Bonita Halloween cat earrings which I bought last year from Trashy Diva and a lime skull brooch which I bought recently from Luxulite on Etsy.


Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin- Front View

Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin- Front View

Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin- Side View

Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin- Front View

Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin- Front View

Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin- Side View

Rosita Bonita Halloween cat earrings and Luxulite lime skulls brooch- Close Up






Bonus Pics!
(mini) Dress Review:

Since I have this dress out for the blog, let me just say a few words by way of a mini dress review.

I was super lucky one day and snagged this Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin print when a single dress in my size popped up in their final sale section. It was being offered at a great price because it has a snag in the fabric at the front side of the dress-- something that isn't noticeable at all when worn with a cardigan or shrug, and also not too noticeable when worn alone because of the location of the snag. With it being offered at such a great price and seeing that this dress at the time was completely out of stock anywhere near my size, I jumped at the chance to get this. Add a 15% discount code I had sitting around and this dress was truly mine for a great price! I got this dress in an XL which according to the website should have been my perfect size for this style. However, I do feel it is a touch too big and just a bit too long for my short torso. Nothing I can't overlook for such a cute dress but it is a bit of a bugger when things don't fit exactly as you hope they would. I do think though that if I sized down it would probably be too tight (for what it's worth). It is back in stock here.

Like other Jennies this dress is boned and lined in silky soft black fabric at the bodice, is made from a wonderfully heavy material, and comes with a delightfully full gathered skirt. The dress also features a back zip for the ultimate in convenience, adjustable shoulder straps to help with the fit, and also has pockets!

And because I adore matching sets so much, I couldn't resist also getting the matching shrug in black with Halloween harlequin trim. I got this shrug in my usual PUG size, large and it fits just right. I really love the finished look this shrug adds when paired with the matching dress. I did however opt not to wear them together on Sunday for the ghost house as I felt just a little too awesomely Queen of Halloween for the short and somewhat informal jaunt that day.


Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin with matching shrug in black with Halloween harlequin trim- Front View

Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin with matching shrug in black with Halloween harlequin trim- Front View

Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny dress in Halloween Harlequin with matching shrug in black with Halloween harlequin trim- Side View







14 comments:

  1. I've never had a candy apple, but the one you got looks great!
    These dresses are so great on you. Isn't the FQ Annette just amazing?! I'm so glad I was able to find one.
    You really lucked out finding that harlequin Jenny! The shrug is adorable with it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOhhh! You will have to try one Bristol! I'm not usually an apple fan but add caramel and it is deliciously amazing! :D And yes! The FQ Annette!!!! It is such an amazing dress. I love it forever! Also, so happy to have lucked out with the harlequin Jenny! It's a super awesome dress for Halloween and for Halloween everyday for sure! ;) <3

      Delete
  2. I cannot get over how amazing the FQ Annette looks on you! Your Trashy Diva collection is absolutely amazing, and I think they need to make more Annettes simply so you can buy them ALL. Looks like you had a fabulous weekend, and glad you could snag the Harlequin dress for a good price!

    <3!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! <3 Trashy Diva needs to come out with more French Quarter prints! What a dream that would be!!! <3

      Delete
  3. Both outfits look so great on you, I love both prints but there's something really unique and special about that Trashy Diva skirt! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thank you Camilla! I agree! It is such a gorgeous print. I think Trashy Diva's only border print to date!

      Delete
  4. How much fun! I love the Halloween harlequin on you! I own all of the other harlequin Jenny skirts, but passed on this one bc I wasn't sure I would wear it much. That said, seeing all of you ladies in it I'm thinking twice! And, I'm forever jealous that you have that TD French Quarter! I've given up on finding that print in my size and for a reasonable price...ugh! XO
    Lauren-Blair
    www.gracerock-kellyroll.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have just got to bring back the French Quarter print!!! I'm keeping my fingers cross Trashy Diva will! This print is just too good not to! And thank you Lauren! I do love this Halloween harlequin print. I initially didn't get it either and then one day when I was regretting that decision one just happened to pop up for a great price in my size! :D I took it as a sign ;) <3

      Delete
  5. What fun. I love the harlequin and the Halloween brooch you look adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine! <3 Halloween is so much fun and all of these Halloween themed things coming out make my heart so happy! :)

      Delete
  6. The harlequin dress is so flattering on you! I'm generally not that convinced by a lot of what PUG puts out there recently (the Mary Blair stuff doesn't do it for me really), but the harlequin dresses always catch my eye. The colours on this one are actually pretty cool. Now if only it wasn't going to cost me a kidney to import anything from PUG with the way the £ is right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CiCi! And I saw that about the £ plummeting! So sorry for you CiCi! I guess it's definitely best to stick with buying local for now! :/

      Delete
  7. What pretty colours in both of these dresses. The first is very Autumnal, and the second is just Halloween perfect! Love that little cameo sweater clip too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Porcelina! I also see the Autumnal colors in the first dress! <3 I love dressing for the seasons. :)

      Delete